Sierra Chapter BMW Car Club – Reno, NV
13 June 2019 @ Pearce Motors
As we roll perfectly into a warm summer, perfect driving weather is upon us. The very true slogan “ultimate driving machine” is very true so please enjoy yours to the max. I hope everyone enjoyed the Virginia City tour which, unfortunately, I was unable to attend this year but certainly hope to next year. Anyone who hasn’t done it yet should certainly attempt to do so next year.
There are quite a few exciting and fun events coming up, the first being Cars and Calories, a tour of the Intrepid Motorcar Facility on June 22nd at 10 am. Next will be our drive to Berlin State Park on June 29th. This is a beautiful drive through very varied Nevada landscapes, visiting a small well preserved ghost town along the way as well as an Ichthyosaur exhibit. In July we will tour to Nevada City on some very beautiful California mountain roads. Please check our calendar for more details. I certainly hope to see you at these fabulous events.
- New Members & Membership Update
- Future Upcoming Events for 2019
- BMW Briefs
- BMW Trivia
- Dinner @ Napa -Sonoma South ( 7671 S. Virginia St in Reno) (click here for menu) following the meeting.
The meeting was conducted by President Mart Jaama. There were 20 members present.
- MEMBERSHIP – Fred Watson reported club gained 2 new members (both present at meeting) and 6 renewals with club membership remaining at 160.
- UPCOMING EVENTS
- Russ Huntoon has organized a cars and calories event at Intrepid Motors on June 22nd.
- Mart Jaama will lead the Berlin Ghost Town tour on June 29th. Those going on drive will meet in Fallon at the Safeway store at 10:00 a.m.
- John Strom passed out a flyer with details for the Nevada City drive on July 20th. Deadline to register for this drive is July 6th. The cost is $24 per person with checks payable to John no later than the registration deadline.
- De Sharp reminded that those going on the wine tour in October need to RSVP on the club website.
- Further details on these and other events are on the club website.
- BMW BRIEFS
- John Strom did these briefs and also the BMW trivia.
- The BMW M8 starts at $134,000 for the coupe and $143,500 for the convertible. The M8 competition starts at $147,000 for the coupe and $156,500 for the convertible. The M8 makes 600 horse power in the standard car and 617 in the competition model, both with 553 lb-ft of torque. More details are readily available on the internet.
- BMW continues development on the iX3 due in 2020. BMW and Jaguar Land Rover are collaborating on next-gen EV tech with a goal of speeding up development times while reducing costs.
- Road and TrackRoad and Track did a comparison of the new Z4 and the Porsche 718 Boxster in the June 2019 issue. Both cars rated high with the Z4 being more of a grand tourer and the Boxster being the better sports car.
- John Strom also did a slide show of a 14 super car round up. Cost of vehicles going to a high of around $12 million and horse power up to 1800. All incredibly fast and expensive with extremely limited production.
- The Honda Mean Mower has the Guinness world record for fastest 0-100 mph for a lawn mower at 6.285 seconds after 2 runs. The mower uses a Honda 200 hp motorcycle engine that can propel a top speed of 150 mph. More detail at autoweek.comautoweek.com.
- BMW TRIVIA
QUESTION: What year did BMW decide to build cars in the United States?
- DINNER was at Napa Sonoma South.