Sierra Chapter BMW Car Club – Reno, NV
11 July 2019 @ Pearce Motors
I hope everyone is enjoying July so far with this wonderful driving weather and that your 4th of July was fun filled and accident free.
Last month we had two great events. “Cars and Calories” at Bert Skidmore’s Intrepid Motor Company was a sight to behold seeing literally millions of dollars’ worth of amazing race cars and classics and listening to Bert telling stories of the racing greats he had been involved with. Thank you Bert for a fabulous morning!
Our second event was to the Berlin Ichthyosaur State Park. We all met in Fallon for much needed coffee then continued to Middlegate for lunch and socializing outside under beautiful old Cottonwood trees. The kids played tether ball and had a lovely time on the tire rope. After lunch we caravanned on to Berlin to see the ghost town and do an organized tour of the Ichthyosaur fossils which was fascinating. Getting there I found out my M5 is an all-terrain vehicle driving on dirt roads and crossing streams.
Our next event will be John Stroms’ tour of Nevada City on July 20. Please make sure you are signed up so lunch can be booked and paid for by this month’s meeting. The cost is $24.
Our annual picnic will be on August 11. Hope to see everyone at this month’s meeting. Meanwhile happy driving and enjoy this glorious weather.
- New Members & Membership Update
- Future Upcoming Events for 2019
- July 20, Nevada City Tour
- August 11, Sixth Annual BMWCCA Sierra Chapter Picnic
- September 7, Fun Rally Monitor Pass
- October 26-27, El Dorado & Amador County Wine Tour
- Cars & Coffee @ Intrepid Cars & Coffee @ Intrepid Video
- Berlin Ghost Town Tour Video
- BMW Briefs
- BMW Trivia
- Dinner @ Skipolini’s Pizza, 13971 S Virginia St, Reno (click here for menu) following the meeting.
The July meeting was called to order by President Mart Jaama. There were 21 members present.
- MEMBERSHIP : Fred Watson reported membership was stable with no new members and one renewal.
- UPCOMING EVENTS
- The annual picnic has been canceled and will be rescheduled when a location is secured.
- John Strom reported the Nevada Tour was set for July 20th with lunch scheduled at Lefty’s Grill.
- The Monitor Pass fun rally will be on September 7th with participants meeting at the Raley’s parking on Wedge parkway at 8:45 a.m.
- De Sharp said two wineries were lined up for the October 26th Wine Tour with one more to be conﬁrmed.
- SHARKFEST (6 series) will be in South Lake Tahoe the ﬁrst week of October. Click on the link for details.
- PAST EVENTS
- A video of the cars and coﬀee visit to Intrepid Motors was shown. Thanks to Russ and Cheri Huntoon for arranging the event and to Fred Watson for photography of the event.
- A video of the Berlin Tour organized by Mart Jaama with photography provided by Fred Watson and Jim Johns was also played.
- BMW BRIEFS: John Strom and Pat McGoﬀ provided the briefs.
- BMW U.S. sales were up 2 percent. The X3 was as the top selling model. Overall sales were up based on sales of the 8 series, Z4, and the X7. Mini sales are down 22 percent. China is the number one market in the world.
- Although a concept has been shown, BMW has no intent to build an X7 pickup.
- BMW has moved up the target date to 2023 to have 25 electric vehicles for sale. An electric M8 is planned for 2023 production.
- Plans to phase out diesel models in 20 years and gas models in 30 years.
- X3 production has been ramped up due to model popularity.
- BMW and Jaguar have entered into a joint venture relating to development of electric models.
- BMW TRIVIA
QUESTION: The first BMW automobile was the Dixi 3-15. What was unusual about the car?
ANSWER: the car was not built by BMW and was a re-badged English Austin.
- DINNER: Following the meeting several members went to dinner at Skipolinis at the Summit Mall.