Sierra Chapter BMW Car Club – Reno, NV
10 January 2019 @ Pearce Motors
- New Members & Membership Update
- Preliminary Calendar of Upcoming Events for 2019
- Discussion of possible events. We want your input to add, delete or change.
- BMW Briefs
- BMW Trivia
- Miguel’s Mexican Restaurant, 13901 S Virginia St, Reno (click here for menu)
Meeting called to order at 6:00 p.m. by club president Mart Jaama. A total of 25 members were present. The president’s opening remarks reminded everyone our club is a social club, not a track driving or racing club, and encouraged all members suggest diﬀerent pleasure drives ending at a lunch location similar to the Virginia City drive and fun rallies the club has done in the past. Any suggestions can be made to any Board member. Also, any recommendations concerning joint events with other car clubs.
- MEMBERSHIP. Fred Watson reported no new members have joined but there were four renewals for a total of 160 members.
- UPCOMING EVENTS
Mart led a discussion about upcoming events proposed by the Board (see December Board Meeting Minutes).
- January 19th proposed tech session could not be arranged.
- February and March events were left open for a scheduled date. De Sharp said he was unable to make contact concerning a possible visit to the Bob Lee collection so that possibility is oﬀ the proposed schedule. The Huntoons will check with the Carson Railroad Museum to see if a visit can be scheduled for either February or March.
- April 13th the Huntoons will look into organizing a garage crawl.
- May 11th John English will organize the annual Virginia City drive.
- June 1st Mart is planning the Berlin ghost town tour.
- July 13th John Strom is in charge of organizing a drive to Nevada City.
- August 11th Family picnic, probably at Galena Park on the Mount Rose highway. The Huntoons will organize.
- September 7th Mart and Fred will put together a fun rally including Monitor Pass drive.
- October 26th El Dorado and Amador County wine tour. De Sharp said rooms have been blocked at the Shenandoah Inn and those going on the wine trip should call the Inn to make individual reservations.
- December 5th is planned date for Christmas holiday party. Cheri Huntoon will book the date for Bricks restaurant.
- Dan Chrisman is looking into arranging a tour of the Tesla factory during the early part of 2019. The factory gives tours at 11 and 3 and Dan is checking on possible dates of a tour to be followed by a drive to a luncheon site.
- BMW BRIEFS by Pat McGoﬀ
- 2019 7 series has seven diﬀerent variants and ﬁve diﬀerent power train options. General information can be found at nlmnews.com
- A plug-in hybrid is being oﬀered in the 2019 X5. Details in November Roundel.
The 2020 M340i and M340i xDrive will be the most powerful 3 series ever (other than an M3) with an updated in line 6. bimmerfest.com/news
- The X2 M35i gets powerful 2 liter 4 producing 306 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. See November issue of Roundel.
- BMW and Porche working with Siemens have developed a fast charge system that is 2 times faster than the Tesla charging system. Given the technology involved, full beneﬁts of system will have to wait until next generation of electriﬁed vehicles. Bummer life.com/2018/12/15.
- The 8 series will oﬀer a convertible in 2019 starting at $122k. amlu.com/2018/11/10.
New BMW cockpit gets smarter. The details are too numerous to include here. See December 2018 Roundel.
- BMW TRIVIA
Question: Where in world is BMW looking into building a new engine assembly plant? Answer: United States.
- ERRATA : January 11th is Satch’s birthday. Russ Huntoon took an iPhone video of club members wishing Satch a happy birthday and inviting him to a chapter meeting.
- DINNER: Miguel’s Mexican restaurant at Summit shopping center.