Sierra Chapter BMW Car Club – Reno, NV
9 February 2017 @ Pearce Motors
- New Members & Membership Update (Sharon)
- Upcoming Events for 2017
- Holiday Party Video
- BMW Briefs
- BMW Trivia
- Dinner @ Skipolini’s Pizza, 13971 S Virginia St, Reno (click here for menu)
24 in Attendance and 1 Guest
- NEW MEMBERS & MEMBERSHIP UPDATE
Pat McGoff reported two new members had joined but were not present
- UPCOMING EVENTS FOR 2017
- Calendar for events is still in flux.
- A Tech Session is scheduled for March 11th.
- The Mammoth Tour tentatively scheduled for May12th will have to be rescheduled to a new date not yet determined
- HOLIDAY PARTY
A video of the club Christmas party composed of Fred Watson’s pictures was shown at the meeting. Kudos to Fred for an excellent job. Fred also presented past president Pat McGoff with a framed certificate for his dedication in that position.
- TREASURER’s REPORT
De Sharp requested and was granted authority to hire an accountant on an hourly basis as needed to maintain club financial records. De also reported the club had $7,780 in its account at this time.
- BMW BRIEFS
- Pat McGoff covered a number of BMW related items including a story about a Kurd in Afghanistan using an armored BMW sedan to evacuate over 70 injured in an attack. He rejected an offer of a new BMW to replace his shot up vehicle.
- Two women won medals in the para-olympics using BMW designed wheelchairs.
- The new 5 series will include a hybrid.
- The X-1 and the M-2 and M240i were named on Car and Driver’s annual best vehicles list.
- An X-7 is in a pre-production mode.
- BMW is working with IBM’s “Watson” super computer to up grade smart technology in their cars and 4 I-8s have been provided to IBM for the project.
- Both the 2 and 3 series have received the insurance industry’s highest rankings for safety.
- BMW has hired a new design chief for automobiles and also hired a new CEO for BMW North America.
- BMW TRIVIA
QUESTION: Which German luxury manufacturer sold most vehicles last year and what is most expensive car made by BMW?
ANSWER: Mercedes Benz topped BMW for number of vehicles sold in 2016. The Rolls Royce Phantom is the most expensive car built by BMW.
Jim Goodfellow presented Mike Dietel with a copy of the last issue of Bimmer magazine which carried a story about Mike and his career.
Over 20 club members joined together for dinner at Skipolini’s Pizza, 13971 S Virginia St at the Summit shopping center.